Every online business, whether small or large, needs to be well positioned on search engines to become successful. Search engine optimization (SEO) should not be overlooked. According to research, nearly 94% of online activity originates from a search engine and 93% of people do not scroll past the first page of results. Therefore, if you want to drive traffic to your online shop, you should work on optimizing your product pages.
How does SEO work?
Search engines, like Google, try to direct users to websites or pages most relevant to their query. They consider various factors to rank and list websites in the search results. SEO will help you optimize your online shop to rank higher in the search results.
The algorithms employed by search engines are constantly optimized to generate the best results. Consequently, SEO can be a complex endeavor. This post will focus on one of the most fundamental factors in optimizing your page ranking – identifying the right search keywords! Let’s explore how you can use keywords to drive traffic to your online store.
Identify relevant keywords
No matter what product you are offering on your online shop, most likely there are hundreds of others already available online. How do you make sure your product is at the top of the search? Search engines look for ranking cues to match a particular search with a relevant result. Finding the right keywords that match your product will ensure you are visible to users in the search results.
Keywords are the search queries a user might enter into a search engine. For example, if you’re selling pet supplies, the ideal keywords may be “buy pet supplies,” “pet food,” “pet toys,” or other related terms.
Improving product pages
Once you have found your focus keyword, it’s recommended to use a secondary keyword (synonym) throughout your content to enrich the text. Place your keywords wisely around the text and do not overuse them. Ensure that your keywords appear in the most relevant sections of your product page. Namely, your product URL, title, description, and content.
- URL: including a search term in a URL is considered a strong ranking signal. It’s good practice to include a focus keyword in the URL when creating new product pages.
- Product title: the focus keyword must be present in the product title to help rank the page.
- Product description: product pages should contain a detailed description of the product with your focus or secondary keyword appearing 2-3 times throughout the text. Frame content naturally and do not overuse your keywords.
- Images and videos: including an imagine or a video in a post increases organic traffic. Additionally, they help better explain the features of your product. Don’t forget to add ALT text to your images which includes your focus keyword.
- Ratings and reviews: customer reviews count as user generated content on your online shop and it can add SEO value to your product pages. Learn how to add ratings and reviews to your online shop here.
Search engine optimization is about making sure the right type of traffic lands on your product pages. The greater the number of potential customers visiting your online shop, the greater the chances of conversion.
In addition to implementing tips mentioned in this post, it is also important to optimize WooCommerce to improve performance and user experience. Plugins can be powerful tools to help you increase your store’s reach, build customer trust, manage your inventory, and optimize payments on your website. Woosa offers high quality and cost effective plugins for your online shop. We can help you develop a plugin tailored to your needs. Reach out to us for more information.