SEO tips for your WooCommerce product pages
Every online business, whether small or large, needs to be well positioned on search engines to become succesful. Search engine optimization (SEO) should not be overlooked.
Every online business, whether small or large, needs to be well positioned on search engines to become successful. Search engine optimization (SEO) should not be overlooked. According to research, nearly 94% of online activity originates from a search engine and 93% of people do not scroll past the first page of results. Therefore, if you want to drive traffic to your webshop, you should work on optimizing your product pages.
How does SEO work?
Search engines, like Google, try to direct users to websites or pages most relevant to their query. They consider various factors to rank and list websites in the search results. SEO will help you optimize your webshop to rank higher in the search results. The algorithms employed by search engines are constantly optimized to generate the best results. Consequently, SEO can be a complex endeavor. This post will focus on one of the most fundamental factors in optimizing your page ranking – identifying the right search keywords! Let’s explore how you can use keywords to drive traffic to your webshop.
Identify relevant keywords
No matter what product you are offering on your webshop, most likely there are hundreds of others already available online. How do you make sure your product is at the top of the search? Search engines look for ranking cues to match a particular search with a relevant result. Finding the right keywords that match your product will ensure you are visible to users in the search results. Keywords are the search queries a user might enter into a search engine. For example, if you’re selling pet supplies, the ideal keywords may be “buy pet supplies,” “pet food,” “pet toys,” or other related terms.
Improving product pages
Once you have found the focus keyword, it is recommended to use a secondary keyword (synonym) in the content to enrich the text. Place the keywords around the text wisely and don’t overuse them. Make sure your keywords appear in the most relevant sections of your product page. Namely, the product URL, title, description, and content.
- URL: Including a search term in a URL is considered a strong ranking signal. It’s a good practice to include a focus keyword in the URL when you create new product pages.
- Product title: the focus keyword must be present in the product title to help the page rank.
- Product description: product pages should contain a detailed description of the product with the focus or secondary keywords appearing 2-3 times in the text. Frame the content naturally and don’t overuse keywords.
- Images and videos: including an image or a video in a post increases organic traffic. In addition, they help to better explain the characteristics of the product. Don’t forget to add ALT text to the images that contain your focus keyword.
- Reviews: customer reviews count as user-generated content on your online store and it can add SEO value to the product pages.
Search engine optimization is about the quality of the content and the amount of the content. The more relevant content related to your products, you produce, to better search engines will rank your website.
Luckily we have developed a SEO generator for WordPress in collaboration with Nowweb.nl. With this plugin you can easily generate thousands of blog posts with relevant and dynamic keywords. Each blog post can link to a particular product, so that you will increase sales via content. Read more about this plugin here.